Re: bb segfault - will someone please confirm?

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:45:38AM +0200, Ernest jw ter Kuile wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 April 2005 23:25, Ernest jw ter Kuile wrote:
> > Confirm. Although I got so mesmerised by the images that I forgot to time
> > it.
> >
> > > 6. After 3 minutes 47 seconds (+/- a couple seconds) bb segfaults. It
> > > happens right before the section with the toroid.
>
> hmmm, actually here it goes beyond that. it finishes the toroid part, blasts
> something with a tank thingy, which seems to spiral to nothing, shows briefly
> yet another face, and then fills the screen with the letter 'Q' and seg
> faults.
>
> for completness, tryed it in an xterm (instead of a konsole) and it went
> _much_ smoother and faster ! but it crashed at exact same location.
>
> tryed in 32bit mode to see whole demo, which actually went smoother _and_
> faster still !!
>
> Actually the whole demo looks _much_ nicer in 32bit mode. The toroid there
> really does looks 3D (instead of flatish 3D in 64bit mode) and the Mandelbrod
> demo went from just beautifull to very impressive indeed.
>
> now, if aalib does it like mplayer, they have an optimised renderer for some
> platforms (like i386, 32bit  mode)  and a generic renderer for the reste.
> If this is true I guess the seg fault might be in the generic renderer of
> aalib itself and not in bb at all.

I rather doubt it, but I hadn't checked.  Hmm...  No the only assembly
in bb optimized for i386 is the lzo decompression library, which is only
used once in a while to load an image, it isn't used while displaying
anything.

> anyway, thanks for pointing me to bb. Beautifull demo (best seen in 32bit
> mode).

It looks amazing on a terminal that supports colours, like the linux
console and maybe some xterm's (certainly NOT kde's konsole terminal
program).  Doesn't appear to make any difference between 64 and 32bit to
me.  It looked way better on the console than in konsole (which didn't
seem to allow multiple colours).  The kde terminal is really rather
crappy in general.