Re: DMA problem

On Thursday 07 April 2005 14:46, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 06:26:25AM +0200, Adam Podstawczynski wrote:
> > Hi, I have not followed your previous discussion, but can't you simply
> >
> > mv /lib/modules/your-kernel-name/kernel/drivers/ide/offending-module.ko
> > /any/backup/directory
>
> Well that won't remove if from the initrd.  You wold have to regenerate
> the initrd afterwards.
>
> The real problem appears to be that the SiS driver _does_ load, but
> exits with an error, after which the ide-generic driver loads and
> succeeds at running the ide controller.  So the real problem is figuring
> out why the SiS driver dies on this system.
>
> > This will definitely prevent the offending module from loading at
> > startup. This is probably not a Debian way, nor any recommended way of
> > removing a module, but it will help you isolate the problem. Providing
> > that you have a startup disk or CD, or another working kernel (with a
> > different number) at hand so that you can move the module back into its
> > directory, if anything goes wrong.
>
> The error from dmesg is this one:
>
> SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> SIS_IDE: probe of 0000:00:02.5 failed with error -1 <-- What is that?
> Probing IDE interface ide0...
> hda: ST3120022A, ATA DISK drive
>
> So if anyone has seen that before or has suggestions (maybe bad BIOS
> setting) I am sure the owner of the system would love to hear about it.
>
> Len Sorensen

on my machine the sis5513 module loads without that error. i use stock debian
2.6.10-k8. i removed all but the sis5513 from /lib/modules.../pci/ide. this
results in only the effectively needed ide-modules being loaded. of course i
had to rebuild my initrd. i also tried to remove ide-generic but this leads
to a kernel panic on startup. so i assume that the ide-generic is used on my
machine.
in my opinion the sis5513 behaves faulty but i can't prove this because there
is no corresponding error message. what a pitty!

greetings
uwe

--
ASUS K8S-MX, 2800+ (754), 512MB, gnuLinux v2.6.x