Re: DMA problem

Uwe wrote:
On Tuesday 05 April 2005 21:19, Bhushan Kulkarni wrote:

Hello List ,
      i have sis5513 ide controller , when i try to enable DMA for my
Harddisk , cdrom,
i get following message -->

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma    =  0 (off)

I am running  "2.6.11-9-amd64-k8" kernel ..  I have added sis5513
module to /etc/modules at the top. Still facing same  problem.

How can i enable this DMA ??

this is exactly the same problem i still have.
i think the problem is related to the many many ide-modules that are loaded. they may interfer with each other preventing the sis5513 module to work properly. unfortunately i don't know how to prevent them from being loaded. it seems, that the initrd might contain the code that loads them. since now i didn't find a way to disable the unneeded modules. my last message adressing this is without any reply.

a little workaround wich is in fact absolutely unsatisfying is installing an additional pci-controller card. i added a promise-type that is tremendously faster and cpu-conserving because it works in dma mode. since this brings up some device hassle my system disk is still without dma.

the left question is how to prevent the unneeded ide-modules from being loaded. somebody an idea???

(...)

Hi, I have not followed your previous discussion, but can't you simply

mv /lib/modules/your-kernel-name/kernel/drivers/ide/offending-module.ko /any/backup/directory

???

This will definitely prevent the offending module from loading at startup. This is probably not a Debian way, nor any recommended way of removing a module, but it will help you isolate the problem. Providing that you have a startup disk or CD, or another working kernel (with a different number) at hand so that you can move the module back into its directory, if anything goes wrong.

Regards,
--
Adam Podstawczynski