Re: ASUS A8V-E Deluxe working

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:09:39PM +0200, Major A wrote:
> Since the list of supported mainboards doesn't contain this model, I'd
> like to ask you to add it:
>
>   board:	ASUS A8V-E Deluxe
>   ATA:		VIA
>   RAID:		? (not tried)
>   SATA:		? (not tried)

SATA on the via works perfectly on the A8V, and hence will on the A8V-E
as well.  The Promise 20378 (ft3xx) is on the other hand likely to take
a while before it gets support.

The softraid probably doesn't work, but even if it does, who wants it.

>   network:	sk98lin (*) on PCIe
>   WLAN:		Marvell (?, not tried)
>   sound:	via82xx
>
> For reference:
>   CPU:		Athlon64 3000+ (1.8GHz, 512kB cache)
>   memory:	Kingston HyperX PC3200 CAS3, 2x512MB kit
>
> (*) The only thing that was problematic was the network. I used
> debian-installer over tftp/PXE to install a Debian system (with a
> separate PCI network card), then downloaded a new kernel (2.6.11.6)
> and the newer sk98lin driver from Syskonnect, called
> "install-8_15.tar.bz2". I used the latter to create a patch to the
> kernel, applied it, built the kernel and the new sk98lin network works
> just fine. All this was done within the sid pure64 distribution,
> default gcc is 3.3.5.

Strangely the sk98lin driver loaded fine with 2.6.8 on my A8V-Deluxe
using the Feb 18 (AFAIR) net install CD.  I suspect PXE boot with the
onboard would work fine too (if you enable netboot in the BIOS).

> The graphics card (ASUS AX600PRO) works OK with the VESA driver, the
> ATI 64 bit one doesn't build on this kernel, I hope an update is in
> the pipeline.
>
> Ah, and for those who consider buying this board, it has a 24-pin EATX
> power connector, but I'm using it with a 20-pin ATX power supply
> (Aerocool 450W) with no problems so far. I've read elsewhere that this
> shouldn't be a problem, the 4 pins that are unconnected only carry
> voltages that are present among the 20 connected pins anyway.

Interesting.  I didn't know the A8V-E had a different power connector
than the A8V does (which has just 20pin ATX + 4 pin P4 12V connector).