Re: # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

Javier Kohen schrieb:
El lun, 04-04-2005 a las 16:02 +0100, james@total-carnage.org escribió:

Is Realtime-lsm the same thing? I'm assuming no, as I have realtime-lsm on a 2.6.11 custom-built kernel for using a recording studio with...

No, they're not the same. As far as I can tell, preempt attempts to
enhance the user experience (i.e., for programs with a UI) while RT-LSM
gives software real-time capabilities. These capabilities give programs
deterministic thread scheduling guarantees; not all programs, but those
that request this behavior.

I do not think so. I think realtime LSM only allows processes to elevate themselves to a realtime priority (a non-dynamic priority, unlike normal processes), so they will run until they give up the CPU. This does not change the realtime behaviour of the kernel in terms of latency, only allows the process to hog the CPU so it cannot get hurt by other less important apps.

Since processes are usually only reniced upwards by root, elevating needs a special capability, and therefore it is a patch for a new security model (LSM).

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla