Re: # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

Oliver,

That does clear things up a bit, even if it is quite a bit to take in...

Previous to applying the realtime-lsm patches, audio recording/playback with multi-track hard disk recorders such as Ardour was very laggy and the audio skipped with more than 3 or so tracks. After I installed the new kernel, however, I have benchmarked it to around 20-odd tracks simultaneously playing audio and there was no skipping or patchyness.

I assumed before your explanation that the realtime-lsm patch simply enabled faster access to studio-specific audio hardware (such as my Delta 1010 PCI card/outboard).

It is apparently though different from the Preempt patches...

I think the reason I thought they were related is in the kernel configuration (I used menuconfig), under the "Kernel Pre-emption" section was "No pre-emption", a couple of others (cant remember off my head) and "Realtime Latency" :)

James