Buildtime woes and other stuff

> P.S. Oliver, what motherboard do you have? Does the motherboard have more
> SATA
> ports than just the Silicon Image? Does 'free' show plenty of memory?

It is a MSI RS480M2 - pretty new.
ATI 400 SB chipset.
ATI XPress 200 graphic card.
AMD64 3500+ 2.2 GHz
2x1GB PC3200 DDR400 Dual-Channel RAM
SATA Seagate 250 GB

Current problems in Linux:
* Clock is ~ 2x too fast
* SATA_SIL is the only SATA driver compatible to one of the two SATA
controllers
* the IDE mode set in the BIOS for the SATA doesn't make it show up as an
IDE-ATA, though that works in Windows XP (my colleagues run it ;) ) and
FreeBSD 5.3

I've checked the build time, which is correct, even though the clock is
wrong. I guess the build time is derived from a timer and not the clock?

Neither the HPET options set or unset change the timing problem.

Neither adding nor removing CPU Frequency Scaling or AMD PowerNow changes
the clock problems, and setting the performance governor doesn't help as
well. The time seems to be set to an improper frequency/division. FreeBSD
and Windows don't show the issue.

ACPI does not work - Suspend to RAM fails, SWSUSPv2 fails because it cannot
decode the BIOS settings of the SATA harddrive. ACPI is not deactivateable,
or the system will fail after loading the SATA driver after recognizing my
drive.

And, of course: The kernel build seems to me as "slow" as on my P3/1GHz at
home, even though in 64 Bit native mode, and with an inappropriate time
spent in the system (> 1/2 - 2/3).

SMBus - no driver works...

I hate this &$%?!@ board!!! (I've overlooked the fact that ATI made not only
the onboard graphics but the chipset as well!) Nothing works as intended...

If MSI or ATI would be so kind to give me some documentation so I could fix
this mess myself... But MSI does not feel responsible, and ATI failed to
react. Their fglrx driver for x86_64 even fails to compile - and I guess
this is what they meant with "This board supports Linux" ...

*ARGH!!!*

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla

--