Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

Lennart Sorensen schrieb:
root@bender:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads:   2188 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1093.07 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Timing buffered disk reads:   96 MB in  3.03 seconds =  31.69 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hmm, rather slow drives by the looks of it.  I would expect most modern
drives to do around 50MB/s not 30MB/s.  I get 44MB/s on my 120GB WD SATA
drive.  It looked like it was a seagate that you are using.  I wonder if
they have gotten better, since I recall reading some not so nice
opinions on Seagate SATA drives by Hedrick.

To exclude DMA as possibilty:

/dev/sda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
root@bender:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2124 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1060.04 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 Timing buffered disk reads:   96 MB in  3.01 seconds =  31.88 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla