Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Oliver.Korpilla@gmx.de wrote:

Well, but more than a half of the compile time up to 2/3rds account to system time, which I think is somewhat excessive.

Maybe it's not processor related, but to the disk driver? Any way to find out?

Have a look at whether DMA is enabled in the disk driver you are using. If not, high disk throughput will cost you a lot of CPU power. You can find out by looking at the kernel messages at boot, for example on one of my boxes I see lines like

ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xFFFFFF0000004200 ctl 0xFFFFFF0000004238 bmdma 0x0 irq 18

which tells me that my serial ata disk is capable of (and using) dma.
Another thing which may make a difference is the io-scheduler you are using, if your computer is heavily loaded with other disk-intensive tasks when you are compiling your kernel (e.g. some cron jobs run extensive find commands). Be sure to compile the as or cfq io scheduler(s) in your kernel (or as modules) and to pass the "elevator=as" or "elevator=cfq" arguments
to your kernel boot sequence, this may help.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)