Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
I'm doing this on a 3500+ @ 2.2 GHz, so what should I expect? How many time spent in the system and how many in user?

Compiling a 2.6.10 kernel on my Athlon 2800+ with 1GB ram and a 120GB
SATA drive with the features debian has enabled by default in their
kernels and a couple of tweaks is usually about 20 minutes or so as far
as I remember.

That's the strange thing - my AMD64 3500+ in 64-bit mode, with 2 GB of memory and a 250 Gb drive, takes about 30min. But this system _should_ have more oomph, not less!

I'm getting half the time spent in system and think that is strange but I do not really know.

Well disk read/write are system calls, so that isn't unexpected.

Well, but more than a half of the compile time up to 2/3rds account to system time, which I think is somewhat excessive.

Maybe it's not processor related, but to the disk driver? Any way to find out?

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla