Re: Normal buildtime for a kernel?

Lennart Sorensen schrieb:
On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:32:15PM +0100, Oliver Korpilla wrote:

Yeah, but slower??

Well at least very similar speeds seem not too unreasonable.  I am not
sure if the 64bit pointers would hurt the performance of gcc in any way.
It does have to move more bytes around than a 32bit machine.  it is
certainly faster at many tasks.

I don't know if this problem wouldn't be handled by the bus architecture of the AMD64 itself. Remember it has also more regs and an integrated memory controller, that should actually give a boost.

I already do -j 3.

I wonder if 3 is overkill.

I did with it and without it - it's barely noticeable.

Well what does hdparm -t /dev/sda say your disk speed is able to do?
What kind of HD and what size?

250GB Seagate SATA.

# hdparm -v /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
geometry     = 30401/255/63, sectors = 250059350016, start = 0

That doesn't say much interesting for sata drives.  -t would have been
more interesting.

hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   98 MB in  3.06 seconds =  32.01 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
root@bender:/home/korpo/download# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   98 MB in  3.01 seconds =  32.52 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
root@bender:/home/korpo/download# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   98 MB in  3.04 seconds =  32.26 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Thanks and with kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla