Re: lyx rather than openoffice

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 15:15 +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2005 11:39, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
[snip]

> I remember Wordwise Plus on the BBC Model B.  You typed your text on a
> 40-column screen, marked up with control codes; and it came out of an
> 80-column printer.  This was for memory saving  {the Beeb had a char-mapped
> display mode which used less memory than the bit-mapped ones}  but it also
> implied an abstraction between content and presentation.  When I first saw
> WYSIWYG word processing on a Mac, I found it flashy, but kind of annoying all
> the same.
>
> And I never saw the point of spreadsheets; they always seemed to me to be for
> capitalists.

Nothing screams "British" like an unseemly attitude towards
capitalism...

>              If I want to represent a table with many rows of labelled
> columns, I'll use a database.

Being a database administrator, I can guarantee you that RDBMSs
and spreadsheets serve and fulfill vastly differing needs.  Anyone
who thinks they are equal is foolish in the extreme.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

$ python -c 'print len(str(2**3000000))'
903090