Re: lyx rather than openoffice

On Monday 21 March 2005 11:39, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hi,
> I have noticed lately people are going to great lengths to get
> openoffice going on amd.  I have found that for academic (and personal)
> writing latex (therefore lyx) produces superior documents; since
> character spacing may be modified and it has 'nicer'type-faces.  Along
> with a bibliography tool.  It posseses the ability to save as a pdf
> document (which everyone can read).  It produces a functiomal contents
> tool.

If KWord could open .sxw files and KSpread could open .sxc files, I for one
would ditch OOo with all its clunkiness in a heartbeat.

I remember Wordwise Plus on the BBC Model B.  You typed your text on a
40-column screen, marked up with control codes; and it came out of an
80-column printer.  This was for memory saving  {the Beeb had a char-mapped
display mode which used less memory than the bit-mapped ones}  but it also
implied an abstraction between content and presentation.  When I first saw
WYSIWYG word processing on a Mac, I found it flashy, but kind of annoying all
the same.

And I never saw the point of spreadsheets; they always seemed to me to be for
capitalists.  If I want to represent a table with many rows of labelled
columns, I'll use a database.  MySQL has a nice enough command line front
end, or there's always PHPMyAdmin.  If I want to do some repetitive quick
calculations, I'll write a few lines of Perl  {or its bastard dialect PHP}.

Maybe KDE4 will have all the good stuff in it .....

AJS