Re: no-pain minimum install

Tong wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:51:53 +0100, Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei] wrote:
>>>
>>> How can I do a minimum Debian system installation, which will have all
>>> my peripheral configured, including the X and the monitor.
>
>>> Previously, I was always having trouble to get a minimum working
>>> system. I have to choose "Desktop system" in order for X and the
>>> monitor configured properly. But this setting leech too many packages
>>> than I really need, the next thing after installation I would remove
>>> them one by one.
>>>
>> The fastest way is to make a debootstrap from an existing linux
>> installation (or live-cd, i recomend you debian from scratch for this).
>> Or use the sarge netinstall with base system. This will install just the
>> base system (and a few crap packages, but just a few).

>From your posts, it sounds like you already have another system configured
the way you like. You can use the following commands to clone an
installation:

dpkg --get-selections > mypackages.txt  #Do this on the old system
dpkg --set-selections < mypackages.txt  #Do this on the new system
apt-get dselect-upgrade    #Process the new package list

If the install is interrupted for any reason, you have to redo both of the
last two steps. This should leave your new system with the same packages as
the existing one. As has been mentioned, there will still be configuration
data missing.