Re: no-pain minimum install

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:51:53 +0100, Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei] wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:38:13 -0500, Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I do a minimum Debian system installation, which will have all
>> my peripheral configured, including the X and the monitor.
>>

> It depends on what you understand for "minimum"

I meant, a minimum system with all of my peripheral configured, including
the X and the monitor.

>> Previously, I was always having trouble to get a minimum working
>> system. I have to choose "Desktop system" in order for X and the
>> monitor configured properly. But this setting leech too many packages
>> than I really need, the next thing after installation I would remove
>> them one by one.
>>
>> I'm glad that current Debian AMD64 release's "Desktop system" doesn't
>> have much excessive packages, but the problem is that I don't have X
>> either. It was a painful experience to get it working, but after
>> reboot, my X won't start any more -- the whole system will freeze up.
>>
>> Somebody please help. Thanks a lot.
>>

> The fastest way is to make a debootstrap from an existing linux
> installation (or live-cd, i recomend you debian from scratch for this).
> Or use the sarge netinstall with base system. This will install just the
> base system (and a few crap packages, but just a few).
>
> Now, with aptitude or apt-get install the packages you want. To install
> the X, i recommend you to install your favourite window manager and
> xserver-xfree86, and a few fonts (transcoded 75 and 100 dpi). If you
> need something more you can install it later with apt.

install the window manager, then xserver-xfree86, oh boy, are you sure
it is the minimum for X? Because that is the exact sequence that I did,
but unfortunately, I wasn't able to "startx" -- not because of font, but I
have to install lots of other packages manually...