Re: no-pain minimum install

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:38:13 -0500, Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I do a minimum Debian system installation, which will have all
> my peripheral configured, including the X and the monitor.

It depends on what you understand for "minimum"

> Previously, I was always having trouble to get a minimum working system. I
> have to choose "Desktop system" in order for X and the monitor configured
> properly. But this setting leech too many packages than I really need, the
> next thing after installation I would remove them one by one.
>
> I'm glad that current Debian AMD64 release's "Desktop system" doesn't have
> much excessive packages, but the problem is that I don't have X either.
> It was a painful experience to get it working, but after reboot, my X
> won't start any more -- the whole system will freeze up.
>
> Somebody please help. Thanks a lot.

The fastest way is to make a debootstrap from an existing linux
installation (or live-cd, i recomend you debian from scratch for
this). Or use the sarge netinstall with base system. This will install
just the base system (and a few crap packages, but just a few).

Now, with aptitude or apt-get install the packages you want. To
install the X, i recommend you to install your favourite window
manager and xserver-xfree86, and a few fonts (transcoded 75 and 100
dpi). If you need something more you can install it later with apt.

Aritz BEraza [Rei]
--
Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei]
[ WWW ]  http://evangelion.homelinux.net