Re: Can I install desktops like Gnome from NET inst?

Rupert Heesom writes:

I will shortly be trying to install Debian 64 onto a dual-opteron
machine.

I also want to install support for an Nvidia graphics card and the Gnome
desktop.  I've seen instructions here about handling the NVidia
graphics.
What I don't understand so far is whether the netinst CD downloads the
necessary files for nvidia support and (optionally) the Gnome (or KDE)
desktop.

Does the net install CD only install the kernel/progs/IA32 chroot etc
and leave you to install anything further such as workstation desktop
etc?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi,

I have used the netinst CD several times recently. I would
recommend just getting the base system installed first and
then working on the many options after the netinst is done.

The first step after booting the netinst CD and getting the
partitions and network configured and a small part of the CD
packages installed is the reboot. Remove the CD as
instructed and then reboot to finish the basic Debian.

The Installer will continue after rebooting without the CD
and begin to download many additional packages from the
internet until the Debian can function at a minimal level.

The very last step is to either install optional packages
or quit and install them later. The options include a choice
called the Desktop and I think that installs Gnome. There
are also options for File Server, DNS Server and also a
choice of Manual Package Selection. Or you can make no
choice and just finish. Then everything is ready to be
customized in any way imaginable at any time thereafter.

Have fun. The installer worries about everything else.

P.S The sid gcc is version 3.3.5 and I think sarge is the
same. I have both sid and sarge installed. Use the matching
netinst as you choose. The real choice is "pure64" == sid
or "debian-pure64" == sarge. Even pure64 for sarge will
turn out to be sid. That is just trivia. Sid is a good
distribution anyway.

Edit the sources.list during installation as you choose:

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-pure64 sarge main

editor@postscript.port5.com

--
AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256 Creative SB Live WD Raptor SATA Maxtor PATA IBM/Okidata Color PostScript3 Lexmark Mono PostScript2 Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid Kernel 2.6.11 XFree86 4.3.0.1 Xorg X11R6.8.2 1.5 Mb DSL