Re: Re: "rock solid" motherboard

Joshua Moore wrote:

I hate to bring this up again, but this is the only
discussion I've been able to find that speaks around my
specific needs. I have the Abit AV8 and Athlon64 3000
CPU. When I try to install Debian with RAID-0 (two
Western Digital SATA drives), it gets to the partitioning
part and then it sees two drives. Shouldn't it only see
one? I can't seem to get it to recognize one big drive (I
think it's called striping?). I have SATA RAID ROM set to
ENABLED in the BIOS and I've hit [TAB] at startup and
used the auto setup to make a RAID-0 array, and I've set
it to be a bootable array. What else do I need to do in
order to get it to work. Please copy any responses to my
email, as I am not a member of this list yet.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for being honest.

Do not enable the RAID in the BIOS. The RAID is not
supported.

The kernel drivers for all of the chips having RAID
features on any AMD64 motherboard only support individual
drives not an array of drives. The RAID features only work
in DOS or Windows not under Linux.

The disk controller chips on the AMD64 motherboards are
really bad and the RAID0 is no faster than individual disks
anyway:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/chipset-raid/index.x?pg=28

Turn the RAID mode off!

editor@postscript.port5.com

AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz  Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR
ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256
Creative SB Live  WD Raptor SATA  Maxtor PATA  IBM/Okidata
Color PostScript3  Lexmark Mono PostScript2
Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid  Kernel 2.6.10
XFree86 4.3.0  Xorg X11R6.8.2  1.5 Mb DSL