Re: Anyone uses the Gigabyte GA K8-NS Pro ?

Hi Corey!

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:12:55 -0800, Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml@fatooh.org> wrote:
> Hannes Mayer wrote:
> > As far as I've read, the nForce3 has an IDE/ATA controller. Is that
> > GigaRAID additional to the nForce3 controller, or does one need the
> > GigaRAID working in order to use a ATA disk ?
>
> I'd be willing to bet the ite8212 is in addition to the nforce3
> controller (which works flawlessly for me, by the way).
>
> 1. The ite8212 is a dual-channel controller (according to pci.ids in the
> kernel source).
>
> 2. Searching google images gave me this:
> http://www.crmk.de/7.0/hardware/gigabyte.jpg
> ...which clearly shows four IDE connectors. Probably the two right next
> to the RAM are nforce3, and the ite8212 is for the other two.

Ahh, next to the RAM are the other 2 IDE connectors. Well, since the 2
*2 IDE conn. are so far away from each other, it does support the
theory that 2 are for the nForce3 controller and the other 2 for the
IT8212. At least from the layout designers point of view, it doesn't
make sense to put the connectors so far from each other if they share
the same chip.

> > I grep'ed the kernel source and only found "8212" (GigaRAID uses the
> > ITE8212 chip) in /drivers/pci/pci.ids
> > Since I only found it in the PCI id's I think it's not supported ?
> > (otherwise it would appear somewhere in the source aswell ?)
> >

> I think you're right. I couldn't find anything definitive on google
> after a few minutes of searching. ITE does have a driver listed:
> http://www.ite.com.tw/software_download/software_download2.asp
>
> ...but I couldn't make it compile, even after fixing the Makefile (which
> is hardcoded for /usr/src/linux-2.6.1) and fixing the missing includes.
> I don't really know what I'm doing, though.

Yes, I found many maillist and forum posts about problems with the ITE source.
But the good news is that Alan Cox seems to be working on a revised version
of a driver:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc2/2.6.9-rc2-mm1/broken-out/add-support-for-it8212-ide-controllers.patch

Furthermore I've found this post:
http://mailman.taolinux.org/pipermail/tao-discuss/2004-April/000201.html

I've emailed Fred and he quickly replied:
quote: "I'm using a Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro2 board. This board has your vanilla
IDE controller with two channels so it supports four ordinary PATA
drives natively. It also has a SATA controller, to which I have paid
no attention since I don't plan to buy any SATA drives any time soon."

The Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro2 has the nForce2 chipset, which also includes
an IDE controller like the nForce3.

To sum it up:
I'm quite confident now, that there will be no problems with the
Gigabyte GA K8-NS Pro without the GigaRAID and I can wait for the
IT8212 support in the kernel.

Thank you so much Corey!!!! Your help is very much appreciated!!! :-)))

Best regards,
Hannes.