Re: Re: Framebuffer and Kernel issues

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:49:26PM +0000, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> So I've been trying to figure out the console framebuffer still without
> success.  I have some interesting information though.  Whenever I load the
> vesafb module at the command prompt by doing a "modprobe vesafb" I get this
> error (I've already loaded fbcon, and the three cfb* modules):
>
> vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6
>
> Does anyone know what this means?  I googled on it and it came up with a
> few hits but they were no help.  When I try to do an fbset after loading
> the vesafb module it still says "/dev/fb0 not found".  I'm at a loss.  I
> found out something else interesting.  When I unload the vesafb module it
> gives me this:
>
> Device 'vesafb0' does not have a release() function, it is broken and must
> be fixed.
> Badness in device_release at drivers/base/core.c:85
>
> Call Trace:<ffffffff801b96e4>{kobject_cleanup+100}
> <ffffffff801b9740>{kobject_release+0}
>        <ffffffff801b9a8e>{kref_put+126}
> <ffffffffa06e0170>{:vesafb:vesafb_exit+16}
>        <ffffffff80149292>{sys_delete_module+354}
> <ffffffff801606a2>{do_munmap+290}
>        <ffffffff8016071a>{sys_munmap+90}
> <ffffffff8011171a>{system_call+126}
>
> I don't know if anyone cares about this because mostly when you have the
> vesafb module loaded you won't be unloading it but I dunno, maybe it's
> another clue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Greg

If I remember well. vesafb is set at the kernel cmdline when doing a
linux vga=0xYYYY
The YYYY must correspond to a vesa mode (check the Documentation in the
kernel/sources, somewhere lies a chart with some vesa values).
Once booted in this mode you cannot change it (this requires a realmode
call).
So forget about fbset, it won't do anything.

Of course you can correct me if I'm wrong.

	Seb