Re: Re: Another sata failure report

mpjohans@psu.helsinki.fi wrote:

I can confirm the SATA problems with the sid-amd64-netinst.iso image from 11 Feb. Grub doesn't install correctly and freezes the machine on boot (clean install) after displaying the message "Grub loading stage 1.5".

Using "expert" install-mode, LILO refuses to install at all, exiting with an error code (1, IIRC).

The system has 2*200 GB SATA drives on an Asus K8V SE Deluxe M/B (VIA K8T800 chipset).

I had no problems with the SATA on my VIA controller during installation two months ago. There have been many reports of recent problems with the nVidia board and now for VIA also.

Could you report the BIOS setting for "Using Plug-and-Play OS?"?

The Plug-and-Play should be set to NO for Linux so the BIOS configures the disks first.

Just wondering.

AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR ASUS A8V Deluxe Pro ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256 Creative SB Live WD Raptor SATA Maxtor PATA IBM/Okidata Color PostScript3 Lexmark Mono PostScript2 Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid XFree86 4.3.0 Xorg X11R6.8.2 1.5 Mb DSL