graphical server

Hello!

My system is up and running, but still completely in text mode.
I have installed several packages with apt-get (from k3b to xmms to
evolution etc.) but I am not able to start the graphical server.

I used Fedora Core3 until yesterday and there it just to type startx.
I get some error messages (file - directory not found or similar) ...

I am still a newbie to Linux..

Can anyone give me an advice what to do?

Is there a graphical server configuration tool (for setting up graphic
card and monitor, xorg.conf etc.)?

Erik