Re: Time to test sarge

the owner <editor@postscript.port5.com> writes:

> That confirms sarge libc6-dev is at least 17 days later.
> Both the 11Feb and 24Jan images must have been built from
> sid containing the libc6 2.3.2.ds1-20.0.0.1.pure64 package
> except sarge libc6-dev requires libc6 2.3.2.ds1-20. I would
> need to try a netinst built from libc6 <= 2.3.2.ds1-20 to
> avoid the need to downgrade. I could try a very old
> installer from way last year and then everything in sarge
> would be an upgrade.
>
>> I'm plaing to downgrade the sid libc6 to an unpatched
>> form to fix this. The patch was only needed for upgrades
>> and hopefully everyone has done so now. Any objections?
>
> Now I'm confused about that. Was the patch to do with
> linking /lib/amd64?
>
> I have downgraded packages before using dpkg not using
> apt-get or dselect. These problems should be blamed on the
> installer not on sid. Please don't experiment with the
> most excellent sid for this reason.

When we started we had the /lib64 -> /lib link in base-files as
patch. Recently the /lib64 link has been added to debians glibc
package and we had to remove it from base-files to avoid conflicts.

For this move (base-files -> libc6) to work without self destructing
the system some extra infos in the control file are needed, included
in the libc6 patch.

Now that everyone has upgraded they are no longer needed and I plan to
downgrade libc6 instead of maintaining a now useless patch. (Unless a
new glibc upload beats me to it).

> *
> * Could you post an iso built from the sarge packages? *
> *
>
> Maybe the same routine used to build the 11Feb images only
> build * from * sarge * instead * of * sid.
>
> Is the point of sarge to build a full CD image to install
> without a network? That is going to need a sarge installer.
>
> I forgot how to build my own image from the files so I would
> need to actually read the manual to make my own. None of the
> recent install-images are suitable for installing sarge.

http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/tools/make-cd.sh

But you need the kernel-image and linux-kernel-di packages in sarge
first for it to build a CD.

MfG
        Goswin