Re: Dependency issue with perl-base

Hi Debian fans,

I found the solution and thought I post it here for others.

The original cause was finally found to be the locale settings. I will walk
all the way once again so its easy to follow.

1) When trying to update perl I evt. found out that something is wrong with
the locale settings

"Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
 LANGUAGE = "ja_JP:ja:en_GB:en",
  LC_ALL = "en_US",
   LANG = "ja_JP.EUC-JP"
       locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or
directory
       locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
direct
ory
       locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

"

2) So I checked the file /etc/locale.gen and unfortunately it was completely
empty (which is not good)

2a) So I did a "man locale" and read which locales I can / should put.

So I ended up with a file like this

--------------contents of /etc/local.gen---------------------
en_GB ISO-8859-1
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US ISO8859-1
en_GB.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8

2b) I did a "locale-gen"

ns1:/home/nilsv# locale-gen
Generating locales...
  ja_JP.EUC-JP... done
  en_GB.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.ISO8859-1... done
  en_GB.ISO-8859-15... done
  en_GB.UTF-8... done
  ja_JP.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

3) I removed the "liblockfile-simple-perl" package

"dpkg --remove liblockfile-simple-perl"

4) Now I did my upgrade.

"apt-get upgrade"

So finally everything is fine and system is up and running.

I hope that helps somebody to avoid wasting their time on such issues.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan

http://www.be-known-online.com