Re: Sata and Ati Xpress 200

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 07:17:06PM +0100, Karel Schneider wrote:
> Dear debian users,
>
> I am having some trouble to install debian on a system with an athlon
> 64 on a msi board with the relatively new ati xpress 200 chipset.  The
> cdrom on the ide channel works, but my harddisk connected to the
> on-board sata thing is not.  RAID is not used.
>
> I have tried both sarge and sid from alioth, as well as some other
> distributions (but I have only little experience in actually
> installing linux) without success. I tried to read all the relevant
> messages on the list, but sometimes I was not sure, how to do the
> things suggested.
>
> I loaded "debian from scratch" and tried lspci.  It seems that debian
> identifies the sata controller but does not know what to do with it.
> Any ideas how I can get it working easily?
>
> I tried to connect the harddisk to different connectors on the
> mainboard as has been suggested in some other post. To disable the
> IDE-Bus does not seem to be a useful aproach.  Btw. I did a quick
> install of Windows XP, everything seems to work, but I need a unix
> system for my application :(

Did XP require a driver disk to provide it with the SATA driver?  If
not, then the bios is probably set to provide emulation mode on the SATA
controller, which in my experience (at least with intel chipsets) makes
it not work right in Linux.  Linux tends to want SATA to be in native
mode, not any compatibility mode (or combined mode) of any kind.

On the other hand I have no idea if the ATI chipset SATA is supported
yet.  I assume you used an installer with at least 2.6.8 kernel (sarge
installer's 26 kernel boot option).  Some SATA are known to not behave
right with anything less than 2.6.10 (see archive for last month or two
for info on how to deal with this while installing).  Maybe one of the
most up to date installers for amd64 uses 2.6.10 and might support that
chipset.

What is the pci id of the sata?  lspci -n should help with that.

Lennart Sorensen