Re: Tracking sarge

Jérôme Warnier wrote:
Le jeudi 03 février 2005 à 20:14 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :

Kurt Yoder <ktydeb@richard-group.com> writes:

Alice Stamping <alstamp@gmail.com> writes:

Hello guys.

Hopefully a quick question.

I would like to use some AMD Opteron kit in production with Debian.

don't, therefore, fancy tracking unstable with these boxes. :)

I want to track sarge with these computers.  Is it possible to :

- install Debian Sarge from the i386 iso

yes

- using make-kpkg build a 64-bit kernel on the newly installed box
for the AMD 64 bit platform.

Not comfortably.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-amd64-<tab>
kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic  kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8       kernel-image-2.6-amd64-xeon

I did this last week and ran into trouble. I could no longer use the
iptables binary, though the module was loading fine. I also was unable
to install new kernels because something about the initrd installer
didn't like the new 64-bit kernel.

The iptables problems is known. You need a 64bit iptables.

Any easy solution? Is there a package somewhere? In Sarge?

Well, there are definitely AMD64 iptables packages in the Debian AMD64 port. They only seem to depend on (AMD64) libc6.

The initrd on the other hand should work. What was the error?

From what I'd read in previous threads on this list, I got the
impression that "mix and match" using 32 bit user-space and 64-bit
kernel would not work. I had actually planned to reinstall using the
amd64 Debian installer. So if my understanding is incorrect and it is
indeed possible to use a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit user-space, I'd like
to know about it...

It is possible with some glitches, like iptables or alsa not having a
32->64 bit translatio layer.

Nothing else?

As far as I know ALSA does have a translation layer (snd-ioctl32). But probably I don't know as much about that as Goswin :)

--
Javier Kohen <jkohen@fibertel.com.ar>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802