Re: Tracking sarge

<snipped>

> > I did this last week and ran into trouble. I could no longer use the
> > iptables binary, though the module was loading fine. I also was
unable
> > to install new kernels because something about the initrd installer
> > didn't like the new 64-bit kernel.
>
> The iptables problems is known. You need a 64bit iptables.

Do you know where this is? I tried compiling from source, but still get
the error. I assume it's because I'm still compiling using 32-bit
libraries.

> The initrd on the other hand should work. What was the error?

I was trying to install various kernel images, including one I compiled
myself using make-kpkg. I would get past the kernel installation to the
initrd installation and then see this:

Unpacking kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic (from
.../kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic_100_i386.deb) ...
Setting up kernel-image-2.6.8-9-amd64-generic (2.6.8-8) ...
cpio: (0x00000000): No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `(0x00000000)': No such file or directory
run-parts: /usr/share/initrd-tools/scripts/e2fsprogs exited with return
code 1
Failed to create initrd image.

> > From what I'd read in previous threads on this list, I got the
> > impression that "mix and match" using 32 bit user-space and 64-bit
> > kernel would not work. I had actually planned to reinstall using the
> > amd64 Debian installer. So if my understanding is incorrect and it
is
> > indeed possible to use a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit user-space, I'd
like
> > to know about it...
>
> It is possible with some glitches, like iptables or alsa not having a
> 32->64 bit translatio layer.

I'm ok with alsa not working. Are there any other glitches that might
affect using this on a production server?

I guess what I really want to know is: what is the best way to get the
64-bit performance advantages out of my hardware? I don't want glitches
with the software I'm running, such as Apache2, mod-perl, mysql,
postgres, and postfix. I would be OK with my currrent setup (32-bit
userland, 64-bit kernel), but it seems like there are reliability issues
doing this. Are these all taken care of by moving to 64-bit userland?
Are there any arguments *against* moving to 64-bit userland?

Thanks for your answers so far