Re: Tracking sarge

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:24:27 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow
<brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Alice Stamping <alstamp@gmail.com> writes:
> > I would like to use some AMD Opteron kit in production with Debian.  I
> > don't, therefore, fancy tracking unstable with these boxes. :)
> > I want to track sarge with these computers.  Is it possible to :
> >  - install Debian Sarge from the i386 iso
> yes

Good.

> >  - using make-kpkg build a 64-bit kernel on the newly installed box
> > for the AMD 64 bit platform.
> Not comfortably.
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-amd64-<tab>
> kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic  kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
> kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8       kernel-image-2.6-amd64-xeon

Less work for me if someone at Debian was kind enough to make a kernel
already. :)

> >  - build the packages we normally build from source from sources after
> > booting into the 64 bit kernel (e.g. apache/php)
> That needs all the build-depends too. A lot of building and all of it
> not prepared for in a 32bit userland. It's possible but a lot of work.

Of course (I was planning to take a --get-selections from the current
Xeon doing the job, taking my own packages out, then running a
--set-selections on the new Opteron kit - that way I'll get the
build-deps, but of course they wont be 64-bit - that small matter had
escaped me.)

If I just used a 64 bit kernel, and kept the rest of the system
tracking 32-bit packages, would I still see stronger performance than
an equivilently specced Xeon system?

Your help is very much appreciated.

BR
ALICE