Tracking sarge

Hello guys.

Hopefully a quick question.

I would like to use some AMD Opteron kit in production with Debian.  I
don't, therefore, fancy tracking unstable with these boxes. :)

I want to track sarge with these computers.  Is it possible to :

 - install Debian Sarge from the i386 iso
 - using make-kpkg build a 64-bit kernel on the newly installed box
for the AMD 64 bit platform.
 - build the packages we normally build from source from sources after
booting into the 64 bit kernel (e.g. apache/php)
 - keep the rest tracking the 32 bit sarge repositories

... and enjoy a machine with the kernel and some of the apps running a
nice 64 bit build, and the rest of the software running 32 bit
versions?

My understanding is clearly a little ropey, but I want to ensure we're
not going to waste money on this kit if it's not going to earn us some
performance increase.

BR
ALICE