Re: Building a RAID system

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:24:15PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand...he said:
>
> "I turned raid on in the bios for the two channels that I have the hard
> drives hooked up to but when I got to the partitioning section of the
> installation I was confused.  The only way I could figure out how to get
> the raid going was to use the "software raid" function in the partition
> menu."
>
> If he turned on Raid in the BIOS, is that not Hardware Raid?

No it isn't.  It is proprietary software raid managed by a bios
extension and custom drivers (once the OS and drivers take over from the
bios).  It is entirely done in software.

> When I installed software Raid1 on those two servers recently, I didn't
> implement anything in the BIOS, it was all done in Debian.

As it should be.  Better to use open software raid than someone's secret
proprietary software raid that won't work if you have to move to a new
motherboard later.