Re: Building a RAID system

On (31/01/05 22:11), SpikeyGG wrote:
> I'm new to the raid thing in linux (and fairly new to linux also).  My
> router for the last year or so has been a old PIII 600MHz running
> slackware... Anyway, after doing some research I decided to build a
> home-theater PC using an Athlon 64 3200+ with pure64 as a base.  I
> purchased an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (939pin deal) and I've got it currently
> installing (about 12% now), man it's slow.  Getting to my point, I want to
> run a RAID1 (mirrored) array on my two SATA 250GB drives... I turned raid
> on in the bios for the two channels that I have the hard drives hooked up
> to but when I got to the partitioning section of the installation I was
> confused.  The only way I could figure out how to get the raid going was to
> use the "software raid" function in the partition menu.
>
> Here's what I did, let me know if you see anything wrong with it.
>
> 1. Initialized the disks with a single partition, the size of the drive
> 2. Made the partition types on both drives "for linux RAID" option
> 3. Then iniatilized a multi-disk RAID1 array on the two partitions I set up
> for RAID
> 4. On the new RAID1 partition I created the root partition (/)
>
> Then finished and it's installing now... (about 15%, yay).
>
> Was I correct in setting this up as a software raid?  Does the Nvidia
> chipset thingie take care of the raid or is it supposed to be a software
> thing?  Could someone learn me the ways of raid?
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> -Greg
Hi Greg

I'm no expert but I configured two servers using HP's hardware raid
configuration a couple of years back and didn't do anything in Debian to
configure Raid.  More recently, I set up two more servers using software
raid1 (mdadm).

I believe you either do one or the other, not both.

FWIW the later two servers have SATA drives and I'm using 2.6.8-1-686
kernel.

HTH

Clive

--