Re: Dual NIC - device assign problem

Jörg Ebeling <joerg.ebeling@shbe.net> writes:

> I've a Tyan S4882 with a Broadcom Dual NIC controller on Board.
>
> The NIC module "tg3" loads so far but assigns the ethernet devices
> (eth0/eth1) randomly to the NICs.

FWIW, I have 9 systems, each with a Tyan S2882 and these same dual
NICs and have never experienced this problem.  But, besides being only
dual CPU, these systems differ in that they are running 32bit Debian
and kernel and the tg3 module is compiled into a monolithic kernel.

Every boot and every machine has the socket furthest right if facing
the back of the box comming up as eth1.  Its MAC is one less than the
neighboring eth2.  Eth0 is the 100 Mbps NIC.  I vaguely remember that
with Linux 2.4 eth1 and eth2 came up switched.

Luck,
-Brett.