Re: AMD64 e-machines 680x - cpu descaling

Theodore Kisner wrote:

On Monday 17 January 2005 20:45, Alex Perry wrote:
Not really a 64 bit question, but relevant:
My current kernel, which allows cpu frequency scaling while on wall
power, insists on stepping the frequency down to minimum when on
battery.  I am unable to step it back up again, when I want to run at
full performance while on battery.  Other than building a kernel without
scaling support, how do I insist on staying in fast mode ?  What am I
forgetting ?

hmmm, I don't think that powernowd cares about battery status (it adjusts cpufreq based on load). Are you using powernowd, or some other frequency adjusting tool? You can adjust the scaling profile by editting /etc/default/powernowd

Nope, that machine isn't running powernowd (some others are).
What's odd is the contents of  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

cpuinfo_max_freq:1800000
cpuinfo_min_freq:800000
scaling_available_frequencies:1800000 1600000 800000
scaling_available_governors:powersave userspace performance
scaling_cur_freq:1800000
scaling_driver:powernow-k8
scaling_governor:userspace
scaling_max_freq:1800000
scaling_min_freq:800000
scaling_setspeed:1800000

When I pull the power plug, three lines change:
< scaling_cur_freq:1800000
> scaling_cur_freq:800000
< scaling_max_freq:1800000
> scaling_max_freq:800000
< scaling_setspeed:1800000
> scaling_setspeed:800000

As a side note, on my amd64 laptop (Compaq R3190), the frequency tables in the bios are bogus. I needed to choose the kernel option CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ in order to allow the kernel to use ACPI to retrieve the frequency info (this is how Windows does it). Of course, if it already works when using wall power, then I doubt that this is an issue for you...

Yeah, same problem.  Solution already applied, as you noted.