Re: AMD64 e-machines 680x - cpu descaling

On Monday 17 January 2005 20:45, Alex Perry wrote:
> Not really a 64 bit question, but relevant:
> My current kernel, which allows cpu frequency scaling while on wall
> power, insists on stepping the frequency down to minimum when on
> battery.  I am unable to step it back up again, when I want to run at
> full performance while on battery.  Other than building a kernel without
> scaling support, how do I insist on staying in fast mode ?  What am I
> forgetting ?

hmmm, I don't think that powernowd cares about battery status (it adjusts
cpufreq based on load).  Are you using powernowd, or some other frequency
adjusting tool?  You can adjust the scaling profile by
editting /etc/default/powernowd

As a side note, on my amd64 laptop (Compaq R3190), the frequency tables in the
bios are bogus.  I needed to choose the kernel option CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ
in order to allow the kernel to use ACPI to retrieve the frequency info (this
is how Windows does it).  Of course, if it already works when using wall
power, then I doubt that this is an issue for you...

-Ted