Re: AMD64 DHCP Network Configuration Failure

Wow, that did it! I took the card out and reinstalled and everything worked! Now it gets an IP address and connects to the internet and everything! Thank you so much! LOL. You have no idea how long I have been trying to get it to work. :)

From: Dave <kernelpanic@ghettolan.org>
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: AMD64 DHCP Network Configuration Failure
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:19:56 -0500

Bob Proulx wrote:

What does lspci say?

 lspci | grep Ethernet

It seems strange to me that your "DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb nForce3
250GB Chipset Motherboard" would have a tulip based network interface
chip.  IIRC that has an nvidia based onboard gigabit lan.  But perhaps
it is so and it is tulip as I do not have any firsthand information.
The lspci will say for sure.  I am guessing that your latest install
is guessing the wrong driver for your interface.

The first thing I would do would be to verify that the right driver
module is loaded for your networking.  You may need to give the system
help in getting that correct.

Bob

I have the DFI board in question as well and its working flawlessly. I built it with the ~nov 15th-ish 4mb install image.

I had a similar problem with the ethernet, but a quick search revealed the solution. Forcedeth module had to be used to get me online. AFAIK I'm still using it.

I'm totally screwed if this goes down, as I have lost my printed list on what had to be done at the network setup portion. It was a fairly simple workaround. I liked it better than the Nvidia drivers which seemed to have mucked up the onboard sound once I installed them.

I have no output from "lspci | grep Ethernet" (or grep -i eth) but I have forcedeth module loaded on startup.

I believe the workaround during instal was to pause at the section configuring the network, alt-f2 into another console, log in as root, and remove the ethernet over firewire, insert forcedeth and the network now detects as normal.

I'm currently running 2.6.9-9-amd64-k8