Re: AMD64 DHCP Network Configuration Failure

From: David Sawyer <electricalen@gmail.com>
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: AMD64 DHCP Network Configuration Failure
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:58:30 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:37:21 +0000, Pat C <firefly2442@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just put a new system together.  Here are the specs:
>
> AMD64 3200+ CPU
> 512MB DDR 3200 RAM
> 3DFX 16MB Graphics Card... old, yes I know :)
> Standard CD-Drive
> 20GB IDE Hard Drive
> 550 Watt Power Supply
> Antec Case
> Bridgecom 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC
> DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard (onboard
> 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Audio, USB, and Firewire)
>
> I am using the SargeAMD64 NetInstall .ISO Everything works until I get to > the network configuration section. My Bridgecom 10/100 card shows up, as > well as firewire (eth1). However, my onboard ethernet on the motherboard > doesn't. Ok I think, I'll just use the older one for now. It goes to get > DHCP information and can't do it. I put in my hostname and it still can't > do it. When I go to configure it manually to see if it works, I put in all
> the information and then the system goes blank.

What do you do to configure it manually.  Did you edit the
/etc/network/interfaces file, or just type ifconfig eth0 ip netmask
netmask_addr.

No, this is during the installation process. There is an option that allows you to manually put in an IP address and gateway and so on. Is there a way to see the linux unpack and load before it gets to choosing a language? It scrolls by too fast for me to read.

When exactly does the system go blank.  During startup if you changed
the above file I mentioned, or after using ifconfig?

When I try putting the values in manually, I put in the IP address, netmask, gateway, and nameserver. AHHh... ok, I think I figured it out. If you put in a nameserver and you're not using a nameserver (me) then it hangs. I left the nameserver out and it worked and continued on to the hostname setup. I think it would be beneficial to add a check so that if the nameserver doesn't work it can continue on without one. This might confuse people. Also there is a default value in the nameserver. Maybe just leave it blank? I will continue with the installation and see if I can configure DHCP from the commandline. Thank you.

Can you do anything when it goes blank, try switching consoles or
Ct-alt-del it.  Or Is the system hard frozen?

>I know everything should
> work because I tried an old version of Debian for i386 and it could find
> everything for DHCP easily. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could this
> be a bug?  Thank you for the help. :)

DHCP seems like less of a problem as the system blanking when you try
to configure it.  If the network card and module are working, you can
run dhclient anytime.