Re: AMD64 DHCP Network Configuration Failure

Pat C wrote:
> David Sawyer wrote:
> > Pat C wrote:
> > > do it.  When I go to configure it manually to see if it works, I put in
> > > all the information and then the system goes blank.
> >
> > What do you do to configure it manually.  Did you edit the
> > /etc/network/interfaces file, or just type ifconfig eth0 ip netmask
> > netmask_addr.
>
> No, this is during the installation process.  There is an option that
> allows you to manually put in an IP address and gateway and so on.  Is
> there a way to see the linux unpack and load before it gets to choosing a
> language?  It scrolls by too fast for me to read.

> > When exactly does the system go blank.  During startup if you changed
> > the above file I mentioned, or after using ifconfig?
> > Can you do anything when it goes blank, try switching consoles or
> > Ct-alt-del it.  Or Is the system hard frozen?

I agree.  When I hear of a system going blank I am thinking that it
crashed.  A kernel panic.  But I think the poster is using it as a
slang for something completely different.

> When I try putting the values in manually, I put in the IP address,
> netmask, gateway, and nameserver.  AHHh... ok, I think I figured it out.
> If you put in a nameserver and you're not using a nameserver (me) then it
> hangs.

Hangs, going blank.  These terms confuse us poor folks on the mailing
list who are used to specific meanings for those words.  It would be
most helpful if you could be very precise and to describe exactly what
it is that is happening.

> When I check "lsmod", Tulip shows up so the module is running I
> assume.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks!

What does lspci say?

  lspci | grep Ethernet

It seems strange to me that your "DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb nForce3
250GB Chipset Motherboard" would have a tulip based network interface
chip.  IIRC that has an nvidia based onboard gigabit lan.  But perhaps
it is so and it is tulip as I do not have any firsthand information.
The lspci will say for sure.  I am guessing that your latest install
is guessing the wrong driver for your interface.

The first thing I would do would be to verify that the right driver
module is loaded for your networking.  You may need to give the system
help in getting that correct.

Bob