Re: amd64(gcc4): aptitude dumps core

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:01:03PM -0500, Peter Nelson wrote:
> Harald Dunkel wrote:

> >Harald Dunkel wrote:
> >| Hi folks,
> >|
> >| Since the most recent upgrade of apt (0.5.27.2.0.0.1.gcc4)
> >| aptitude dies with a core dump immediately.
> >|

> >PS: Going back to the old version built with gcc 3.4 (AFAIK)
> >fixes the problem.
> >
> >Folks, I need my PC. amd64(gcc-3.4) is on Unstable, but not
> >Experimental. Don't use an experimental compiler, please.
>
> The gcc-3.4 (well, I guess it's now 4.0 but still has the old name)
> distrobution should be considered experimental.  If you just want
> something that works use the pure64 version.

If the pure64 version worked for us we would have used it, but it
didn't.  (For details see my post in this list several months ago.)
Switching to the gcc-3.4 archive finally worked for us.

So we didn't go to gcc-3.4 for optimization or experiment, we chose it
for stability.

It's Andreas's project and he can do whatever he wants to with it.
But it's not as simple as, "If you just want something that works use
the pure64 version."  Ideally for us the gcc4 archive would be
separate from the 3.4 archive, which we had found to be the only
viable option.

--Pete