Re: "rock solid" motherboard

Kyuu 'Vekotin' Eturautti wrote:

>My best experiences by far have been with Abit KV8-Pro and AV8 boards,
>both with K8T800 Pro chipsets. I have not used audio in a single
>AMD64+Linux system though, but as for stability, quality and hardware
>compatibility (except for audio, not tested) with Debian Pure64, I
>haven't had any problems.  As for onboard LAN, the via-velocity has
>performed quite well. Via kindly provides sources that work with older
>kernel versions too, as I believe the driver came with the kernel only
>starting from 2.6.9.
>
>Personal and friends' recommendations suggest that problematic hardware
>includes Asus and MSI (low quality, too many faulty products received)
>and several nForce motherboards from various manufacturers (stability
>issues).
>
>Experiences with Athlon64 Windows systems have provided similar results.
>Abit+Via is a stable combination.
>
>I want to emphasize that I'm talking about only a bit over ten tested
>systems with Debian Pure64 and none of these have been in workstation
>use. But if I'd need a Linux workstation, I'd probably be betting on
>K8T800 Pro or K8T890 as the chipset of choice and probably Abit as
>motherboard.
>
>Out of your listed choices, I'd probably bet on Asus, due to the Via
>chipset. I haven't had too many positive Asus experiences, but then
>again, I haven't tested any in the past half year.

Hmmm. I'm surprised to hear of any bad experiences with Asus boards;
of the last 10 machines I've built, 7 have been Asus and they've been
incredibly stable. My current A8V Deluxe-based workstation runs very
well with amd64, with lovely performance and no problems at all.

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead