Re: installation stuck in loop

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 07:03:45PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> That is a major design flaw of debian-installer. If something goes
> wrong you can't do the step by hand and continue with the next
> one. D-I will always want to complete the failed step first.

Design flaw? I thought it was redesigned from scratch? ;-)
Ok, would it help if I install in the expert mode?

> As for the errors they are probably all related to libgnutls11. I'm
> guessing previously only libgnutls10 was needed and debootstrap just
> doesn't know about the change yet.
>
> If you fix the base system by hand (and you need to do more than you
> did) you can also install grub by hand on the second console and then
> reboot.

What more would I have to do? (and yes, this is amd64).

> I would start with i386 unless you have time to wait for a fix.

i386 installed fairly well, with linux-2.6, 2.4 does not find the harddisk
it seems, just like winxp. The harddisk is now called hde instead of sda
(serial ATA), I had a little trouble with X11, the upgraded kernel (2.6.8
from unstable) does not want to boot, I used a sarge iso from July which
has 2.6.6. And I had to remove lots of language stuff which I don't think we
will need, to regain some diskspace. So i386 is working, except for a
current kernel.

Once I can install amd64, can I have both installations in parallel, ie I
pick at boot time if I want i386 or amd64? I am still new to grub. And how
do I tell grub to use the coffee.bmp as splashscreen, like I do in lilo?

Please let me know when you think amd64 is fixed (or if there is an older
version, that does not have this problem), I would try again on monday. I
can play with the machine until wednesday...

Thanks,
Christian