Re: amd64 and video card experiences?

> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 08:28:50PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>>  So, if you want current-generation hardware you have no choice but
>>  NVIDIA, which is available now and works.
>
> Not exactly.
>
> Current generation X (for example X.Org) seems to run fine on current
> generation ATI.  [Well... it runs fine on 9600 and 9800 -- I'm only
> presuming it runs fine on X800.]
>
> It's the 3d acceleration which is not yet supported on amd64 for ATI.

Two questions coming to my mind - first, to clarify, am I right in
assuming that if I don't want any 3D, I don't have to go toss my Radeon
away to run nothing more complex than a browser and a terminal in X on
AMD64?

As for Nvidia, there's a lot of talk about Geforce series cards, but I've
too often found them to be unstable and quite hot (just imo, no flamebait
intended). So from Nvidia, I prefer the Quadro series. How's their
functionality, are there any experiences?

-Kyuu 'Vekotin' Eturautti