Re: amd64 and video card experiences?

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:29:36AM +0200, Thomas J. Zeeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ever since I got close to the stage where I wanted to upgrade my Matrox
> P650 with a Sledgehammer (pun intended) I am looking for experiences by
> others with ATI or nVidia cards, especially with the OSS-drivers
> (especially since ATI has stil not delivered an AMD64-enabled
> Linux-driver).
>
> Unfortunately posts about them are a bit rare it seems, especially for
> Debian.
> So I would like to hear some experiences from you people.
>
> I am mostly looking at an ATI 9200 card, but I would not mind about
> hearing experiences with 9600 series or nVidias 5200/5900XT series.

   I have an ATi Radeon 9600 Pro. It works (in the sense that I can
get X running acceptably). 2D works; 3D is unsupported. There are no
64-bit capable drivers for the 3D parts of the card for linux yet.
ATi are being completely uncommunicative on the subject, and I'm
starting to regret buying the card, after having been a happy ATi
customer for many years.

   Just my experience,
   Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
         --- If you're not part of the solution, you're part ---
                           of the precipiate.