Re: amd64 and video card experiences?

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:29:25AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
 > On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 08:28:50PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
 > >  So, if you want current-generation hardware you have no choice but
 > >  NVIDIA, which is available now and works.
 >
 > Not exactly.
 >
 > Current generation X (for example X.Org) seems to run fine on current
 > generation ATI.  [Well... it runs fine on 9600 and 9800 -- I'm only
 > presuming it runs fine on X800.]
 >
 > It's the 3d acceleration which is not yet supported on amd64 for ATI.

 Which is what I was trying to say.  With 100+ million transistors, "3d
 acceleration" constitutes more thann 90% of the chip's functionality.
 If you want a 2D accelerator, find yourself a US$5 PCI card.  It will
 do about the same as any current US$300 card with those drivers and
 makes more sense from an enviromental POV: it's easier and cleaner to
 manufacture, doesn't dissipate as much heat, consumes much less power.

 Marcelo