Re: testing buildd && gcc-3.4 transition

On 04-Aug-04 15:21, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:14:59PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4 sid main contrib non-free
>
>  I have a pure64 chroot that I set up based on John's tarball a long time
> ago.  I've apt-get dist-upgraded it a few times from alioth more recently,
> but it's been a month since I touched it now, I think.
>
>  I don't plan to boot pure64 on these machines soon, just use it as a
> chroot, so does it make sense to just change my sources.list and apt-get
> dist-upgrade from the gcc-3.4 archive, or should I re-install from scratch?
> (Or should I apt-get install --reinstall everything from the new archive
> with a clever shell command?)

Probably all of the three mentioned methods will work (I tried all
of those methods myself and did not find any problems). To be on the
safe side, a reinstall from scratch is certainly the best choice -
followed by 'apt-get install --reinstall everything'.

However, there are still about 400 packages missing from the
amd64/gcc-3.4 archive and it will take a few more days to
(fix and) upload those. Mixing the gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.4 based archives
is NOT recommended. So if you need one or more of those missing
packages, it will probably be better to wait a few more days.

BTW, booting directly into pure64 or amd64/gcc-3.4 is working quite
well. There is no need to use i386 and install amd64 in a chroot
anymore.

Regards
Andreas Jochens