Re: Amd64 status

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:

|| On Tue, 04 May 2004 13:06:52 -0700
|| Alex Perry <alex.perry@qm.com> wrote:
alex.perry> This is three e-mails from John and me a while ago; I think they are
alex.perry> still true.
alex.perry> I do recommend using the alioth pure64 archive in addition to John's one.

alex.perry> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/debian-amd64-200402/msg00216.html
alex.perry> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/03/msg00003.html
alex.perry> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/03/msg00006.html

Thanks Alex.
Is it that one has to start with the tar ball from John's site, to start with the
pure64 installation?

Yes.
Isn't there some way of picking up the required packages from alioth's pure64 repository?

You are _supposed_ to be able to start it from alioth's repository, but I haven't tried it because (1) I don't have time to reinstall my existing pure64 from scratch (and lose its usefulness for the duration) (2) I don't have spare disk space on the laptop to bring up a fourth independent debian installation.

Perhaps the biggest problem with pure64 is ... it now works well enough to be used normally. I have to schedule time for development (the kind that needs reboots) among primary activities.