Re: amd64 buildd

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:27:29AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > What I'm unclear of is that amd64 appears to be alone in actually
> > requiring pages containing executable code to be mprotected
> > |=PROT_EXEC.  This is now done by default on startup for all
> > architectures.
>
> It's required?  I really have no idea about this.

 I think the AMD64 machine architecture includes a separate protection bit
for execute and read, unlike x86 and most other systems.  (This is what
they're talking about when you see ads that trumpet Athlon64's superior
virus-repelling powers with recent versions of windoze...)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)