Re: Handeling of lib64 directories in packages.

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:02:42AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
> > It seems when preparing the package things gets moved to the
> > "lib64" dir.  But when it then tries to package it looks for it
> > in the "lib" dir.
> >
> > Anybody got any idea why it's doing that and how to fix it?
>
> Maybe, just maybe:
>
> The upstream source is aware of amd64 and conforms to the standard of
> using lib64. Running 'configure; make; make install
> prefix=debian/package' will put the libs in lib64. The debian/rules
> file on the other hand is not following the amd64 lib64 standard and
> looks in /lib.

For the record, my current plan for pure64 whenever we get space on
ftp.d.o or a new repository, is to install the following symlink:

/lib -> /lib64

and to list both locations in /etc/ld.so.conf, with /lib64 first.

This should make the eventual transition to multiarch painless and solve
problems like the above at the same time.  (Kurt, you can try that
already and see if it helps.)

-- John