Re: AMD64 CDs

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 05:45:18PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 03:23:14AM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>>>Did I miss anything about this?  I would like to add those
>>>netinst images to my daily builds for ages but I never was able
>>>to make it build properly.
>>
>> I've not really looked into the netinst changes yet. I've written and
>> tested regular AMD64 CDs and DVDs, and they seem to work OK at this
>> point.
>>
>>>I also mailed you my old patches and never heard anything about
>>>it anymore.
>>
>> Sorry, that was me being crap. They were a good start - thanks! I'm
>> planning to get some of the changes into CVS tonight.

I believe they're all in now. The only things you should need to
configure differently to a normal debian-cd run is the location of the
mirror. I've just tested creating CD#1 (then fixed some module names
and tested again :-( ) and installed fine on my system. AMD64 is nice
and fast for that bit, at least! :-)

Things still remaining:

 * I've fixed tasks/debian-installer and
   tasks/debian-installer+kernel; I'm not 100% certain that
   tools/generate_di* will do the right thing, but I think so.

 * The help text in isolinux will need updating for amd64: we don't
   have a 2.4 kernel, and a lot of the older boot options listed make
   no sense either.

So far things seem to work fine for me, but I haven't extensively
tested installer options like md and lvm. The image is _just_ small
enough to fit on a normal 650MB CD, and I've placed the jigdo and
template files up at

http://haydn.debian.org/~93sam/amd64-cd/

The jigdo points to a snapshot I've created too; I'll keep it around
for a few days in case people want to try it.

>That is good to hear.
>
>Something someone else said had me thinking about mixed CDs.
>Amd64/Em64t is fully capable of running 32 and 64 bit at the same
>time. It should be possible to boot the 64bit kernel, run the 32bit
>debian-installer and install either 32bit or 64bit debian.
>
>So what I'm thinking of is adding the 64bit kernel to D-I and patch in
>a question "Install 32 bit (default) / Install 64 bit (experimental)"
>question if a 64bit kernel is running.

Sounds cool.

>As for debian-cd: What do you think about adding an option to use
>different archs for the debs and udebs on a cd? Or including both
>sets?

I'm happy to see that kind of thing suggested, although I'm a little
short on time to do it myself right now. What I'd _love_ to do is try
and create an all-in-one CD or DVD which will boot and install on
several architectures. AMD64/i386/ppc should definitely be possible,
and I'm hoping to be able to fit several more. Watch this space...

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt