Re: strategy for setting up an AMD64 system

Hello,

> It looks like there are two current strategies:
>
> - Install a 64 bit system followed by a 32 bit system in a chroot.
> - Install a 32 but system followed by a 64 bit system also in a chroot.

I have just installed (or better say: the base system is working, the rest is
being added during the next few days)  a 64 bit-system here. I have a
32bit-system on that PC for several months now and just added a 64bit-system
on another partition using the debian from scratch cd.

My comment on that: I am really glad that I had a working linux on the same
PC, as I had to "fine-tune" the dfs-installation first. For example, the
dfs-CD does not provide a 64bit-version of ppp. So I had to reboot several
times, download things using the working 32bit-version, and so on...

(and, BTW, after installation, ppp-support was not compiled into the kernel,
only as module, with the drawback that I had to copy the module-files
manually from CD to the 64bit-installation and find out myself how I can get
them working...)

Wolfgang