Re: sid-amd64-netinst.iso install report

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:27:11 +1100
Norval Watson <norv@longforest.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> Thanx for the heads-up, I should have spotted that, <redface>...
> Here is my new /etc/network/interfaces..
> scoop@my64:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces
> ### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE
> IT.
> auto lo eth0
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.3
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         network 192.168.1.0
>
> ### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE
> PRESERVED.
>
> scoop@my64:~$
> I rebooted but still no ping..
> Checked /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny, /etc/exports,
> /etc/fstab on both machines...
> When I ping from the old (good) machine to the new (amd64) machine the
> LEDs light up next to the LAN ports on both machines, but the ping does
> not work.
> When I ping from the 64 to the old machine no LEDs light up on either
> machine, and ping does not work.
> Thanks,
> Norv

That's rather strange Norv!

When you say the LED's light up, are you referring to just the activity LED or the link LED as well?

If it's the link LED that doesn't light up, then I would say you have a physical problem, be it dodgy cable, faulty switch/hub port, faulty NIC, or something.

Also, can you ping it's localhost (127.0.0.1) address? This will confirm that TCP/IP is functioning correctly.

Sorry if I'm repeating things you've already tested, but as I said earlier, I'm just jumping into this thread half way through...

Pete